‘BODY IN THE FREEZER’ RAPE AND MURDER TRIAL
Trial at Old Bailey under way
Mujahid Arshid, 33, accused of the kidnap, rape and murder of his niece Celine Dookhran and the kidnap, rape and attempted murder of a second woman.
Vincent Tappu, 28, of Acton, is accused of two counts of kidnap.
OLD LADY MURDERED IN ALLOTMENTS
Trial under way at Old Bailey
Rahim Mohammadi, an Iranian immigrant, accused of strangling a grandmother with the cord of her own anorak and dumping her body in an allotment shed will stand trial. He allegedly killed 80 year-old ‘pillar of the community’ Lea Adri-Soejoko in Colindale, northwest London, last month. Police were alerted to Ms Adri-Soejoko’s disappearance after she failed to turn up to a meeting of the Colindale Allotment Garden Association on February 28. Her body was found dead just 25 minutes later in a storage unit on the allotments off Sheaveshill Avenue when police heard the ringing of her mobile phone. Mohammadi, who moved to the UK around 10 years ago.
FOOTBALL COACH SEX ABUSE TRIAL
Trial underway at Liverpool Crown Court
Ex-football coach Barry Bennell will stand trial over alleged child sex offences in January next year.
The 63-year-old is charged with 42 counts of indecent assault, 11 counts of serious sexual assault and two attempted serious sexual assaults.
The charges relate to 12 complainants – who were all aged 8-15 – and allegedly happened between 1979 and 1991.
Mr Bennell denies the charges he faces and the trial is set to last eight weeks, Liverpool Crown Court heard.
M1 LORRY DRIVER MOTORWAY DEATHS TRIAL
Trial at Aylesbury Crown Court on Feb 22. 1-2 weeks.
Ryszard Masierak, 31, is charged with eight counts of causing death by dangerous driving and four of causing serious injury by dangerous driving.
Mr Masierak, a Polish national of Barnards Close, Evesham, Worcestershire, is also charged with eight counts of causing death by careless driving while over the prescribed alcohol limit.
The charge accuses him of giving a reading of 55 micrograms of alcohol per 100ml of breath. The legal limit for driving is 35 micrograms.
He is also said to have no driving licence and to have been asleep at the wheel for 12 minutes.
CHEEKY RAFIKI MANSLAUGHTER RETRIAL
Retrial at Winchester Crown Court on Feb 26. Trial set for 4 weeks. T2016-0276
A company boss has been convicted of safety failures over the deaths of four people on the Cheeki Rafiki yacht.
Douglas Innes was convicted of failing to ensure the safety of the vessel at Winchester Crown Court.
But jurors were discharged after failing to reach a verdict on four manslaughter charges over the incident.
Inquiry, chaired by Judge Nicholas Hilliard QC, at the Old Bailey. Final hearings will take place at Old Bailey from April 10th to 13th. Judge Hilliard presiding.
Alexander Perepilichnyy, 44, (pictured) died in 2012 in Weybridge, Surrey. He is thought to have had a poison known as “heartbreak grass” in his system. He was a Russian whistleblower who knew about a massive fraud.
His widow Nataliya believes he died of natural causes but Hermitage Capital believe otherwise.
The government has blamed a U.S.-based Muslim cleric, Fethullah Gulen, for orchestrating the failed coup. Gulen, a former ally of President Erdogan, has denied the allegation and condemned the coup.
- Brig.-Gen. Gökhan Şahin Sönmezateş, Colonel Muharrem Kose and Colonel Tanju Poshor. https://sputniknews.com/military/201708021056110336-turkish-coup-unfair-trial/
KALAMAZOO MASSACRE TRIAL
Trial pending in Michigan
Jason Dalton is accused in three separate shootings in the Kalamazoo-area in February 2016, which authorities said he carried out between picking up riders as an Uber driver. A judge on Friday must decide whether there’s enough evidence to move the case to trial court. Police have quoted Dalton as saying a “devil figure” on Uber’s app was controlling him the night of the shootings.
Six people were killed and a woman and a 14-year-old girl were injured on Feb. 20. Dalton is charged with murder and attempted murder. He’s been found mentally competent to understand the charge
FRENCH AU PAIR MURDER TRIAL
The Metropolitan Police said there was no evidence either victim was the intended target. Four other people including a child were also inside the address at the time but were not harmed. Obina Ezeoke, 24, is awaiting trial.
NIGERIAN SEX TRAFFICKER TRIAL
Trial at Birmingham Crown court on April 23. T2017-0598
A woman suspected of being one of the ringleaders of a criminal network involved in trafficking young women from Nigeria to Europe for sexual exploitation has been charged under the Modern Slavery Act.
National Crime Agency officers arrested British national Joesphine Iyamu, 50, after she landed at Heathrow airport on a flight from Lagos, Nigeria, on 24 August 2017.
A 59-year-old man was also arrested on suspicion of money laundering.
On 25 August, Iyamu was charged with arranging to facilitate travel of another person with a view to exploitation – an offence under the Modern Slavery Act.
FEMALE MUSLIM TERROR TRIAL
Trial at Old Bailey on May 8, 2018
A trio of women accused of being the UK’s first all-female terror group were ordered to lift their face veils in court. Britain’s first suspected all woman terrorist gang planned to murder innocent bystanders in Westminster with knives, a court heard.
All three of the women appeared at Westminster Magistrates Court charged with the preparation of a terrorist act, contrary to section five of the Terrorism Act, and conspiracy to murder. It’s believed they referred to the terror attack plot was referred to as ‘English tea party’.
Rizlaine Boular, 21, who was shot by anti-terrorist officers when she was arrested, her mother Mina Dich, 43, and Khawla Barghouthi, 20, are all accused of plotting a terror attack in the heart of the capital using knives. Boular was wounded when armed police and counter-terrorism officers stormed a house in Harlesden Road, Willesden using tear gas on April 27.
CONSERVATIVE MP EXPENSES TRIAL
Trial at Southwark CC on May 14
A Conservative MP will go on trial in May next year on charges relating to his 2015 general election expenses.
Craig Mackinlay, who faces a jury trial, is accused of offences under the Representation of the People Act 1983, alongside Marion Little, a campaign director, and Nathan Gray, an election agent.
The South Thanet MP, from Ramsgate in Kent, is charged with two counts of knowingly making a false election expenses declaration, while Gray, from Hawkhurst, Kent, faces one.
Little, from Ware in Hertfordshire, is accused of three counts related to aiding Mackinlay and Gray in making false declarations.
Mr Justice Edis told the three defendants at Southwark crown court on Tuesday that their trial would begin on 14 May, and was estimated to last six weeks.
They are yet to enter their pleas.
In 2015, Mackinlay beat Nigel Farage, who was Ukip leader at the time, into second place with a majority of almost 3,000, taking 38% of the vote.
Trial pending at Blackfriars CC on June 4
Janusz Michek, 59, a Polish national, and Denis Kolencukov, 23, originally from the Czech Republic but living in the UK, have been charged after 79 guns were seized as part of a joint National Crime Agency and Metropolitan Police Service operation.
The guns were allegedly found at Coquelles, France, in a vehicle before it entered the Channel Tunnel en route to the UK on Saturday 1 July. Searches of the vehicle’s trailer revealed a large cache of viable 4mm and 6mm handguns and a quantity of ammunition, all hidden in specially adapted concealments in engine blocks.
No further action was taken against the other six individuals arrested in Coquelles – four women aged 58, 41, 17 and 15 and two men aged 26 and 22 -all Polish nationals.
SICK METH KILLERS RAPED, KILLED AND DISMEMBERED CHILD WITH MOTHER’S HELP
- Trial in July 2018
- Victoria Martens, 10, was dosed with meth, raped, killed and dismembered on August 23 – the day after her birthday in Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Transcripts now reveal her mom Michelle, 35, initially claimed innocence
- She told cops her boyfriend’s cousin, Jessica Kelley, killed Victoria
- But her story changed repeatedly before she admitted the truth
- Martens ‘liked watching Victoria being raped’ by her partner and Kelley and ‘did nothing to stop attack, even though her daughter begged’
TULSE HILL INQUEST
Inquest pending in south London
Justyna Kalandyk, 29, died after being hit by two lorries and two cars as she used a pedestrian crossing in Tulse Hill, around 6.45am on December 11.
Ms Kalandyk was originally from Poland but had been staying with relatives in Wandsworth.
FIRST EVER KIK MURDER TRIAL
Trial pending at Montgomery County Court, Virginia
Natalie Lovell, 13, sneaked out of her bedroom window in Blacksburg, Virginia in January 2016 to go and meet a mystery man she had met through the phone app Kik. But she was murdered and her body dumped over the state line in North Carolina. David Eisenhauser, 18, has been charged with murder and kidnapping. His girlfriend Natalie Keepers, 19, has been charged with improper disposal of a body. Kik allows people to remain entirely anonymous.
ROTHERHAM CHILD ABUSE TRIAL
Trial pending at Sheffield Crown Court
Twelve men aged between 33 and 38 are due to appear in court charged with 44 child sexual abuse offences including rape, indecent assault, supply of controlled drugs and false imprisonment as part of the National Crime Agency’s Operation Stovewood.
Amjal Rafiq (38) and Nabeel Kurshid (34) from Warwick St, Rotherham, Iqlak Yousaf (33) from Tooker Road, Rotherham, Mohammed Imran Ali Akhtar (36) from East Rd, Rotherham, Tanweer Ali (36) from Godstone Rd, Rotherham, Aftab Hussain (38) from York Rd, Rotherham, Abid Saddiq (36) from Walter St, Rotherham, Sharaz Hussain (33) from Fitzwilliam Rd, Rotherham and Salah Ahmed El-Hakam (38) from Tudor Close, Sheffield have been charged with 39 offences following their arrest.
Mohammed Ashan (33), Masaeud Malik (33), Waseem Khaliq (33) – who are currently serving prison sentences at HMP Wymott, HMP Doncaster and HMP Wealstun respectively – have been charged with five offences and remain in custody.
The offences relate to the sexual abuse of eight girls under the age of 16, over a five year period from 1998 to 2003.
All will appear at Sheffield Magistrates Court on the 24th October 2017.
HILLSBOROUGH DISASTER TRIAL
Trial pending at Preston Crown Court, possibly in September 2018
• Sir Norman Bettison, a former chief inspector and superintendent with SYP and subsequently Chief Constable of Merseyside and West Yorkshire Police. He is charged with misconduct in public office related to alleged lies about his involvement in the aftermath of Hillsborough and the culpability of Liverpool fans;
• Peter Metcalf, the solicitor acting for SYP in 1989, is charged with perverting the course of justice. He is alleged to have made material changes to police officers’ accounts for which there appears to be no justification;
• Former Chief Superintendent Donald Denton, and former Detective Chief Inspector Alan Foster are charged with perverting the course of justice for their involvement in the amendment process.
The CPS decided there was insufficient evidence to charge two SYP officers who were also involved in the amendment process.
The CPS also authorised charges against two individuals investigated by Operation Resolve, the investigation examining the causes of the disaster. The IPCC provided oversight of the part of Operation Resolve which examined the actions of SYP on the day of the disaster. These individuals are:
• Former Chief Superintendent David Duckenfield, match commander on the day of the disaster is charged with manslaughter by gross negligence;
• Sheffield Wednesday Football Club Secretary Graham Mackrell is charged with contravention of terms of the Safety at Sports Grounds Act 1975.
PAKISTANI POLITICIAN MURDERED IN LONDON – TRIAL
NEPAL TORTURE CASE (IN UK)
Trial part heard and adjourned at Old Bailey in March 2015.
Colonel Kumar Lama, 46, of St Peters Road, Hastings, is accused of inflicting severe pain or suffering when he was acting in an official capacity. The offences are said to have taken place between April 15 2005 and May 1 2005, and April 15 2005 and October 31 2005, at the Gorusinghe Army Barracks, Kapilvastu, Nepal. Lama, who has served in the Nepalese Army since 1984, was in charge of the barracks at the time, during the Himalayan nation’s decade-long Maoist insurgency. The charges relate to two men, Janak Bahadur Raut and Karam Hussain, and were brought under Section 134 (sub section 1) of the Criminal Justice Act 1988. Colonel Lama, who has indefinite leave to remain in the UK, had been serving as a UN peacekeeper in South Sudan shortly before his arrest last year.
TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS CORRUPTION TRIAL
Trial under way in Providenciales. Not due to finish until late 2017
Michael Misick, former Prime Minister, and 10 others due to go on trial for corruption.
GRENFELL TOWER FIRE INQUEST
Pending in 2018
Dead included Isaac Paulos, who lived with his family on the 18th floor, was found on the 13th floor, Westminster Coroner’s Court was told.Inquests of Mary Ajaoi Augustus Mendy, 54, Khadija Saye, 24, and Mohamednur Tuccu, 44, were also opened. Dr Fiona Wilcox, senior coroner at Westminster Coroner’s Court, adjourned the inquests until a later date.
BRITISH COLUMBIA GANG WARS (CANADA)
Trial now due to go ahead in Feb 2018
Jamie Bacon, a leading player in the Red Scorpions gang, is due to go on trial in Vancouver for his role in the Surrey Six murders in 2007.
Sophon Sek, a poker champion, is also awaiting trial for manslaughter. He is said to have been a Trojan horse who gained entry for the gang.
Bacon’s brother, Jonathan, was shot dead (possibly in revenge) in 2011. Jason McBride, Jujhar Khun-Khun and Michael Kerry Hunter Jones – have been charged with Bacon’s murder and are due to go on trial in June 2016.
NORTHERN IRELAND TROUBLES LEGACY INQUEST (ROSEANNE MALLON)
Inquest pending at Laganside Courts Complex. 4 weeks.
Roseanne Mallon, 76, was killed by a loyalist death squad (probably Billy Wright and his UVF men) in 1994. She was related to several former republican prisoners and it was part of a dirty war against IRA/Sinn Fein-related families.
British Army allegedly colluded in the killing by turning a blind eye (and possibly giving the address to Wright). Wright was never charged. The killing remains unsolved.
DUTCH TOURIST SERIAL KILLER
Trial pending in Aruba (but not until his release in 2038 from jail in Peru)
Joran Van Der Sloot, a young Dutchman, was jailed in 2012 for killing a Peruvian woman, Stephany Flores, in Lima in 2010.
He is also the prime suspect in the murder of Natalee Holloway, a teenager from Alabama, who vanished on Aruba.